Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Mudbox

I wanted to take my dragon model into Mudbox to create a more rounded shape and to also add a few extra details such as the brow. I had a few issues with taking my model into Mudbox from Maya, one of them being t-shapes. T-shapes are when three or more faces share an edge, and therefore cannot be subdivided. To get around this problem I found out that the major area for this was the wings, and because I needed my wings to be of the geometry I had already created, I separated them from the main body. I only imported my dragon's body and will attach the wings on again once finished.

Once in Mudbox I used the grab tool to start shaping my model and smooth off the round edges, from here I then subdivided it in order to add more detail when sculpting. Using the wax tool I could build up layers to the geometry whilst still keep the topology. I used this for the brow and also to add more shape to the legs. Mudbox is really useful for pulling and pushing parts of your geometry into new places, I was able to do this with much more ease than I would have been able to do in Maya. There are a few more things I need to tweak and work on with the model before I go onto UV mapping and texturing. I'm hoping to texture my dragon within Mudbox using the painting and stencilling tools, but I'll have to look into that further nearer the time.



No comments:

Post a Comment